Ever since I discovered Big Spoon Roasters’ products, I haven’t been able to keep my spoon out of their adorable little jars. Big Spoon Roasters (BSR) is based out of Durham, NC and the company has a really cool story. I am all about finding local products to recommend to my nutrition clients, and BSR is ALWAYS at the top of that list!
Why Big Spoon?
- Their products do not have the garbage ingredients (aka added sugars, partially hydrogenated oil, hydrogenated oil, or palm oil) you see in most nut butters on the shelves.
- BSR nut butters are SO good – unlike that unpleasant cardboard taste you often experience with most “healthy” nut butters.
- BSR isn’t a “sell out” to bigger manufacturers. This tells me that their passion and mission drives their business. When a product speaks for itself, and the people backing the products are this commendable, well…you’ve got to support what they are doing!
These Almond-Ginger + Espresso Bites are habit-forming, but that’s a good thing. I give them an A+++ for nutritional value, texture and taste! They are the perfect portion to have on hand for anytime you are in a bind – whether it is a pre-workout snack to eat on the go, something to tide you over before dinner, a great snack to pack for the pool, or a little something sweet for after dinner. Not to mention, they have the perfect BALANCE of macronutrients (carbohydrates, healthy fats and protein).
So let’s not waste anymore time and check out the recipe!
Almond-Ginger + Espresso Bites
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup organic raw honey
- 1.5 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup BSR Almond Ginger nut butter
Kitchen equipment needed: large mixing bowl, small to medium-sized sauce pan, measuring spoons, measuring cups, silicon spatulas (best for mixing ingredients without sticking), ziplock or freezer bags for storage. Melting the wet ingredients is a key step. Make sure you don't try to stir these without a little heat, or your bites will not be consistent. You can freeze these energy bites for up to 3 months!